Sunday, March 1, 2020

HUGS

HUGS

25/11/2019 - 08/03/2020


When they died I wore their jackets like a warm hug.
My Brother Harold was a man of many coats, he had one for every mood and style he may be feeling at the moment.  In the short time I was aloud into his house (with his psycho girlfriend) after his death, I managed to grab only one.  I got his old green camouflage army surplus issue.  It was obviously too big for me and not my style at all, but I wore it everywhere.  
People would comment: 
"When are you shipping out?"
"Oh, I almost didn't see you there!"
"Hi GI Joe"
Countless 'hilarious' quips and 'witty' observations.
I didn't care.
I had him close to me;
I could smell him and feel his warmth and essence.
It's good, sound advice to not judge people because you never know what they may be going through.
That's why I never let my objectivity get out of reach to where I would forget that peoples' problems were not about me.

My Papa left behind a practically brand new Dakota brand black work jacket that my Cousin Jessica and her boyfriend Mike gave him.  I was over at the house with my Mom after he passed away and she offered it to me as a keepsake.  I grabbed it, put it on and have worn it every day since.  It too was not my style and made me stick out like a sore thumb at my new job in a high profile government building amongst the suits in their lower level designer clothes.
I don't care.
I had him close to me;
I could take solace in its' comfort and relief in its' rugged practicality.
In their clothes, I brought them forward with me, and I wasn't alone in the crowds of smirking, awkward strangers and seas of prying, judgemental eyes.

We're all guilty of preconception.
I know, after my crazy life, with all my scars and tattoos, I look like a maniac to some people.
I'm not.
Get to know people.
I have found that they will undoubtably, without fail, surprise you 100% of the time.
Throw away your safety net, get outside of your vacuum and give everyone the benefit of the doubt.
If you don't, you're denying yourself the countless possibilities of real true friendship staring at you right in the face.

I'm the nicest guy you'll ever meet.
Deal with it.

In November we did Blood.
We had two sold out shows at The Bad Dog Theatre with an incredible response.
(I got to experience what a standing ovation feels like, TWICE!)
I started a new job and have been underwhelmed by it ever since.

In December we had a wonderful Christmas at home with Family.
Kids LOVE Christmas and remind you how special and magic the whole thing is.
(So special, in fact, it's worth lying to your own Children about a strange man in another part of the world who can see them sleeping and wont break into their home to bring them presents if they misbehave?)
Right before the holiday, my friend Chris Ragonetti talked me into letting him produce Blood in the New Year.

In January we talked Blood and began to put the pieces in place.
We booked The Staircase Theatre in Hamilton for two shows:

&

both at 8PM 
both new and improved!

(We also booked The Alumnae Theatre for 7 shows:
July 20th-26th!)

In February we hired the guns and pulled the trigger.
I'm honoured to have my Sister Maggie directing this round!

In March...
(March hasn't happened yet, but the beat goes on!)

I hope to see you at one of the shows, I'll save you a hug!
(I'll be the one in the new jacket.)





No comments:

Post a Comment

POSTPONAVIRUS 09/03/2020 - 16/03/2020 I was hesitant to continue Blood any further than the first two initial shows. It's a t...